Alleghany Furnace, Blair County, Pennsylvania


Furnace IndexFurnace HomeHome

Alleghany - is on Baker Run, a branch off Mill Run, in Mansion Park, at 3400 Crescent Road, Altoona (SE), Logan Township. It was built in 1811 by Robert Allison and Andrew Henderson and was operated by them until 1818. Just before the furnace went out of blast a large stone building was completed close by. The furnace lay idle until 1836 when it was purchased by Elias Baker and Roland Diller. It was reactivated, and a dam across the creek (Baker Run), a water wheel, a sawmill and a flutter wheel were built. The fuel was changed from charcoal to coke in 1867. The furnace was blown out in 1884. The stone building, restored in 1939, houses the Woman's Club of Altoona(s&t). Extensive changes have been made to the structure,(P)(V)(rp-2003)
We provide two alternate routes to Alleghany Furnace.
(1). Proceed on I99-US220 SE of Altoona to the intersection with Frankstown Road N40 28.571' W078 23.722'. Turn west on Frankstown Road, becomes PA36, and proceed about 1.3 miles or to corner of Crescent Road N40 29.521' W078 24.397'.
(2) If you are in Altoona start at the junction of PA36 and PA764 N40 30.099' W078 24.447'. Proceed SE on PA36 about 0.7 miles to the junction with Crescent Road to the Right N40 29.521' W078 24.397' and park at the corner. The furnace is in the back yard of the building on the NW corner of the intersection. The stone building was a furnace storehouse and has been restored as the home of the Women's Club of Altoona.
GPS coordinates N40 29.530' W078 24.441' (rp-2003)

Alleghany Furnace - 2003

Alleghany Furnace - 2003

Alleghany Furnace Special Sources:
A Guide to the Old Stone Blast Furnaces of Western Pennsylvania, Myron B. Sharp and William H. Thomas (s&t)

Copyright Richard Parks, Last updated February11, 2010