Allegheny Furnace, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania
and Lime Kiln(?)
Allegheny - Was built in 1827 along the west bank of the Allegheny River above Kittanning in Franklin Township. It was owned in 1832 by A. McNickle and produced 14-15 tons of pig iron a week(s&t). No trace of this furnace remains except charcoal slag on the bench above.
Go west from Kittanning to the west end of the bridge over the river. Turn north on SR4023 for 2.5 miles. Just past a junk yard on the left side of the road Furnace Run Road (T505?) turns to the left, crosses the railroad track, turns south then swings around the end of a hill and continues northwest. The furnace site was in the loop formed by the road.
40º 50.74'N - 79º 31.86'W
Recently Don Whitacre (dw) located a structure that appears to be a lime kiln farther up the hill to the right where to road bears left. The approximate location is shown in the map below. We would appreciate any help in confirming the former use of this structure.
The views of the structure (lime kioln?) found by Don Whitacre near site of Allegheny Furrnace. (dw)
Map showing site of lime kiln (?) structure near site of Allegheny Furnace. (dw) The furnace site was closer to the river in the in the loop where the road going southwest rurns right and heads northwesr up the hill toward the kiln.
Furnace Special Sources:
A Guide to the Old Stone Blast Furnaces of Western Pennsylvania, Myron B. Sharp and William H. Thomas (s&t)
Don Whitacre (dw)
Copyright © Richard Parks, March 27, 2010