Ashland Furnace, Cambria County, Pennsylvania
Ashland - Joseph Conrad and Hugh McNeal built this furnace on Clearfield Creek, in Ashville, Allegheny Township in 1847. . In 1851 a George Crane took possession of the furnace and tried to make iron by using cord wood and raw ''stone" coal but the attempt was unsuccessful and the furnace was abandoned(s&t). Whe states that Ashland's iron was inconvenient to the market and this may have been a contributing factor for its closing. Only a retaining wall and depression in the ground remains (P)(V)(rp-2004).
Go to Cresson on US22. Turn north on PA53 and follow through Gallitzen to Ashville. In Ashville turn west on PA36 cross the bridge at the edge of town and park. 40º 33.678'N - 78º 33.125'W. Go around to the back of a cement block building at 1739 Route 36 (Passanitas Wood Shop-2004) Go to the edge of the hill toward the creek and you will find the retaining wall for Ashland furnace and the depression in the ground below it where the furnace stood.
GPS coordinates 40º 33.646'N - 78º 33.125'W.(rp-2004)
Remains of retainming wall at Ashland Furnace site - 2004
Another view of wall
Site of Ashland Furnace - 2004
No stoned remain
Ashland Furnace Special Sources:
A Guide to the Old Stone Blast Furnaces of Western Pennsylvania, Myron B. Sharp and William H. Thomas (s&t)
Copyright © Richard Parks, Last updated February 10, 2010