A Chicago Railroad - 1930's - 1940's
Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal Railroad


Click on an open link below or go to the RAILROAD INDEX to locate another Railroad
Rail
Home
Alaska
Canada
Chicago Chicago
Connect,
Eastern Midwest
Southeast Southern Southwest Western

The Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal Railroad) was a railroad that served as a terminal railroad for the railroads using the old Grand Central Station in Chicago, Illinois, namely, the Baltimore & Ohio with trains to New York and Washington, DC,, the Soo Line with trains to Minneapolis and Duluth, Minnesota, the Chicago Great Western with trains to Minneapoilis and Kansas City, and the Pere Marquette, wuith trains to Grand Rapids and Muskeegan, Michigan. The B&OCT was owned by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad which acquired the Grand Central station in 1910 and formed the B&OCT. The B&OCT also acted as a switching and transfer railroad with a line from Franklin Park south through La Grange, McCook and Argo to Blue Island and Chicago heights. It served many industrial sites, including the Electro-motive Division of GM, which built the majority of the diesel-electric locomotives during the great diesel explosion of the 30's. 40's and 50's that ended the reign of the steam locomotive. Passenger services on railroads using the B&OCT were relatively light peaking at about 40 intercity trains in the 20's. The famous Capitol Limited of the B*O was one of the name traains using B&OCT tracks to reach Grand Central. The Grand Central shut down in 1969 due to lack of activity, but B&OCT freight interchange continued. B&OCT iis now part of CSX.
Brief History of the Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal Railroad
Predecessors of the B&OCT
1886 - By 1886, the Wisconsin Central Railroad had formed a new railway company, the Chicago and Great Western Railroad (C&GW) to build a new line from a connection with the WC at Forest Park into the city.
1887 - In June, a subsidiary of the Northern Pacific Railroad. the Chicago and Calumet Terminal Railway (C&CT) consolidated several terminal railroads in the Chicago area with lines running between the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway at McCook, Illinois to the south and south-east to Hammond, Indiana and a connection with the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.
1889 - In October, the C&GW began constructing a new passenger terminal at the southwest corner of Harrison Street and Wells Street (then called Fifth Avenue) in Chicago, to replace a temporary facility built nearby.
1890 - In March, another subsidiary of the Northern Pacific Railroad bought the C&GW along with several other WC lines in the Chicago area, consolidated them all as the Chicago and Northern Pacific Railroad (C&NP). The next month, the WC had itself leased to the Northern Pacific. As they were both controlled by


B&OCT
Baltimore & Ohio
Chicago Terminal
October 30, 1960
the same railroad, the C&NP and the C&CT were linked together with new construction and trackage rights.
1890 - Grand Central Station was formally opened on December 8, 1890 by the C&NP Railroad,
1890 - When it opened, Grand Central hosted trains from the WC (which connected with its former trackage in Forest Park, Illinois, and later became the Soo Line), and the Chicago St. Paul & Kansas City (later Chicago Great Western) which made also a connection at Forest Park.
1892 - The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad began using Grand Central Station in 1892, when a connection between the C&CT and the B&O at South Chicago was made.
1893 - In October, weakened by the prolonged economic downturn of the Panic of 1893, the Northern Pacific went bankrupt and was forced to end its ownership of the C&NP, including Grand Central Station.
1897 - In May, a new company, the Chicago Terminal Transfer merged the Chicago and Calumet Terminal.
1897 - In July, the Chicago Terminal Transfer Railroad (CTT) bought the C&NP from the WC. While the WC (and successor Soo Line Railroad) no longer had its own direct connection to the city, it continued to use the line to access Grand Central Station until 1899, and between 1912 and 1965.
1903 - When the Pere Marquette Railroad was completed to Porter, Indiana in 1903, it also used the CTT into Grand Central Station.
Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal
1910 - On January 6, the Baltimore and Ohio Chicago Terminal Railroad was created to purchase the CTT at foreclosure, giving the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, and the B&OCT, control of both the terminal railway systems, the CTT and C&CT, as well as Grand Central Station.
1931 - There were, at this time, 32 intercity passenger train movements inbound and outbound from the Grand Central station on the B&OCT, including 12 on the B&O, 12 on the Pere Marquette, and 4 each on the Soo Line and Chicago Great Western. The B&OCT was also hauling many freight carloads on its transfer lines from Franklin Park, to the Indiana border and to Chicago Heights, and it also served many industrial sites.
1960 - The Grand Central traffic had diminished to 14 movements, 6 on the B&O, 6 on the C&O (former Pere Marquette) and 2 on the Soo Line. The CGW had given up passenger service in 1956.
1969 - Grand Central Station is closed.
1986 - B&O (B&OCT) merged into CSX.


B&OCTmap
Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal - 1960

Our Sources
Private Collection of Richard R. Parks(rp)
Wikipedia the free Encyclopedia [web](wik)
Official Guide- various editions

To contact our contributors please make a request by Email to: Richard Parks

PLEASE SEND US YOUR COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS.


Your source for 1930's - 1940's Passenger Railroad Information


Railroad Index Back to Top Contact Us

Web Page Written and Maintained by Richard Parks
Copyright Richard Parks, April 23, 2009, revised April 17, 2011