Clinton Furnace, Clarion County, Pennsylvania


Furnace IndexFurnace HomeHome

Clinton - Was built along Hemlock Creek (Penndot) or McCauley Run (DeLorme) in Washington Township in 1841 by Moore, Semour & Co.(jac), or Clapp & Semore(idr), (Seymour-jm). It was a steam powered cold blast charcoal furnace 33' high, with 9.5' bosh . (8' bosh-jm). Production 1000 tons in 1845 and 1847; 2000 tons of forge metal out of fossil buhr stone and fossil limestone mined two miles south of furnace lower coal measure ore in 1856(unk). In 1850 it was owned by Horner and Eaton, and in 1859 by Samuel F. Plumer of Franklin(s&t). During Plumer's ownership it was managed by William Hollis(unk). Blown out sometime after 1859. It is in poor condition (P)(V)(rp-1978-he-2003).
Drive east from Oil City on US62 to PA157 to the right. Follow PA157 through Coal Hill to Venus, a distance of about 12 miles. Turn left on County Line Road (T591) north and then northeast to where Faller Road (T590) crosses near a bridge over McCauley Run (or Hemlock Creek N41 22.917' W079 27.908' (Hank Edenborn - Sept. 2003). The furnace ruins are against the hillside about 200 to 600 ft. to the right before reaching Faller Road. Large quantities of slag are everywhere.
Location N41 22.859' - W079 27.913' approximate (he-May 2004).

Clinton Furnace - October 1978

Clinton Furnace - October 1978

Clinton Furnace - October 1978

Opening at Clinton Furnace - October 1978

Clinton Furnace Special Sources:
A Guide to the Old Stone Blast Furnaces of Western Pennsylvania, Myron B. Sharp and William H. Thomas (s&t)
Caldwell's Illustrated Historical Combination Atlas of Clarion Co. Pa. J. A. Caldwell(jac) 1877*
History of Clarion County, unknown compiler, cir 1976 (hcc)*
History of Clarion County A. J. Davis (ajd) ed. 1887*
Unspecified Clarion Co. Sources from asterisk list above.(unk)
Hank Edenborn, Finleyville, PA

Copyright Richard Parks, Last updated May 4 , 2010