Clintony Furnace, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Clinton - Clinton Furnace was built in 1859 by Graff, Bennett and Company. It was a coke furnace and the second blast furnace built in Allegheny County. No trace remains.(s&t)
Quoting Sharp & Thomas "It was on the south bank of the Monongahela River about 1/2 way between Point Bridge (covered in those days) and the Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railroad Bridge, which also has disappeared. Only the two piers and the sealed entrance to the tunnel through Mount Washington remain.
John Kane, well known Pittsburgh artist, painted a picture of this furnace and the buildings connected to it. It shows the furnace and its relationship to the bridge and to the churches still standing on Mount Washington. The furnace stood back from the river, about where Carson Street is now." (s&t). See Pittsburgh maps for location.
Approximate location of Allegheny Furnace site - Pittsburgh, PA
Clinton Furnace Special Sources:
A Guide to the Old Stone Blast Furnaces of Western Pennsylvania, Myron B. Sharp and William H. Thomas (s&t)
Copyright © Richard Parks, Last updated February 5, 2010