An Eastern Regional Railroad of the 1930's - 1940's
Delaware and Hudson Railway
Click on an open link below or go to the RAILROAD INDEX to locate another Railroad
The Delaware and Hudson Railway (D&H)) is an historic railroad that operated in the northeastern United States.
Since 1991 it has been a subsidiary of the Canadian Pacific Railway, although CPR has assumed all operations and the D&H does not maintain any locomotives and rolling stock.
It was formerly an important bridge line, connecting New York with Montreal, Quebec. The company started out as the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company, which built a canal running from Kingston, New York on the Hudson River southwest to Port Jervis, New York on the Delaware River and beyond to the anthracite coal fields at Carbondale, Pennsylvania. The canal company later built a railroad, one of the first railroads in the United States, later known as the Delaware and Hudson
Delaware & Hudson
December 26, 1943
Company and then the Delaware and Hudson Railroad until 1968.
The D&H has called itself "America's oldest continually operated transportation company."
During the 30's and 40's the D&H ran three passenger trains from New York to Montreal, The Montreal Limited, an all Pullman train, and it's companion coach train; also the Laurentian. The NYC took these trains to Albany or Troy where the D&H finished the run to Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The D&H also operated passenger trains from Carbondale to Scranton, Albany to Binghamton, Plattsburg to Lake Placid, Sarasota Springs to North Creek, Fort Edward to Lake George, and Montreal to Rouses Point on the Napierville Junction Railway.
History of the Delaware and Hudson Railway
Delaware and Hudson Canal
early 1820's -, Philadelphia merchant William Wurts realized the value of the extensive anthracite deposits of Northeastern Pennsylvania. He interested his brothers in the idea of building a canal to make it easier to transport it to New York City, which was feeling the effect of import restrictions on British bituminous coal which it had been relying on.
1823 - The Delaware and Hudson Canal Company was chartered by separate laws in the states of New York and Pennsylvania allowing Wurts and his brother Maurice to construct the Delaware and Hudson Canal.
1825,- A public stock offering following a demonstration of anthracite heating in a Wall Street coffeehouse raised a million dollars.
1825 - Groundbreaking started.
1826 - A gravity railway from the mine near Carbondale, Pennsylvania to the future canal end at Honesdale is authorized.
1828 - Canal opened from Hudson River to Port Jervis at the Delaware River and on to Honesdale on the Lackawaxen River.
1829 - D&Hs first locomotive the Stourbridge Lion is first locomotive to run on rails in the U.S.
1829 - On October 9, 1829, the official launching of the First American Railroad system in the U.S., the D&H railroad out of Carbondale, PA. The first coal cars rolled out of Carbondale up and over the high Moosic mountains (1000 ft. ascent) and then down through Waymart and finally to Honesdale. Carbondale was the main corporate and maintenance office center for the D&H. 1843 - Westward extension to new mines in Archibald. (jg)
1858 - Valley Junction reached.
1860 - Providence reached.
1860 - Passenger service begins west of Carb0nfale.
1863 - Scranton, Pennsylvania reached.
post 1863 - Value of railroad over canal becomes evident and investments in stock and trackage is begun.
1898 - Canal carries its last load of coal.
1968 - The D&H canal is named a National Historic Landmark.
Delaware and Hudson Company
As railroads grew in popularity, the canal company recognized the importance of replacing the canal with a railroad.
1864 - Jefferson Railroad chartered to build from Carbondale north into New York.
1867 - Lackawanna and Susquehanna Railroad chartered.
1869 - JRR leased by Erie Railway.
1870 - D&H leases Albany and Susquehanna gaining a line from Albany, to Binghamton, New York.
1870 - The Valley Railroad provides a non-gravity railroad from Carbondale to Scranton.
1870 - JRR leases the Schenectady & Susquehanna Railroad (later the Schenectady and Duanesburg Railroad.
1871 - D&H leases Renssalaer and Saratoga Springs gaining access through leases north to Saratoga Springs and northeast to Rutland, Vermont, as well as trackage rights on the Troy and Boston Railroad, a more easterly route to Rutland .
1871 - The D&H also obtained a 1/4 interest in the Troy Union Railroad.
1872 - JRR opened as branch of Erie south from main line at Lanesboro to Carbondale. JRR also built southeast from Honesdale to Erie's Pennsylvania Coal Co., at Hawley.
D&H obtained trackage rights to Lanesboro.
1872 - L&S branches from A&B at Ninevah and runs to connect with JRR at Lanesboro.
1872 - S&D connects D&H from Schenectady to Dunnesburg.
1883 - The D&H got the New York and Canada Railroad chartered as a merger of the Whitehall and Plattsburgh Railroad and Montreal and Plattsburg Railroad, which had been owned by the Rutland Railroad. This provided an extension north from Whitehall to the border with Quebec.
1875 - This route to Quebec is completed.
1876 - A branch opened to Rouses Point. Lines of the Grand Trunk Railway continued each of the two branches north to Montreal.
1886 - The D&H obtained trackage rights over the Lehigh and Susquehanna Railroad extending the main line southwest from Scranton to Wilkes-Barre.
1889 - ,The D&H bought the Adirondack Railway, a long branch line heading north from Saratoga Springs along the Hudson River.
1891 - D&H canal's last use.
1899 - Gravity Railroad is closed.
1899 - Name was changed to the Delaware and Hudson Company to reflect the lack of a canal, which was sold in June of that year.
1901-02 - Canal right of way from Jackson to Ellnville sold to new New York Ontario and Western Railroad.
1903 - The D&H organized the Chateaugay and Lake Placid Railway as a consolidation of the Chateaugay Railroad, Chateaugay Railway and Saranac and Lake Placid Railway. In conjunction with the Plattsburgh and Dannemora Railroad, which had been leased by the Chateaugay Railroad, this formed a long branch from Plattsburgh west and south to Lake Placid.
1906 - The D&H bought the Quebec Southern Railway and South Shore Railway, merging them into the Quebec, Montreal and Southern Railway. This line ran from St. Lambert, a suburb of Montreal, northeast to Fortierville, most of the way to Quebec City.
1906 - The D&H incorporated the Napierville Junction Railway in 1906 to continue the line north from Rouses Point to St. Constant Junction near Montreal, Quebec, from which the D&H obtained trackage rights over the Grand Trunk Railway to Montreal.
1907 - NJR opens forming part of the shortest route between New York City and Montreal.
1912 -The D&H incorporated the Wilkes-Barre Connecting Railroad, to provide a straighter connection between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre,.
1915 - WBCR opens.
1928 - Delaware and Hudson Railroad incorporated.
1929 - The D&H sells QM&S to the Canadian National Railway.
1930 - The property of the Delaware and Hudson Company was transferred to the Delaware and Hudson Railroad.
1938 - The D&H started to act as a bridge line, carrying large amounts of freight between other connecting lines.
Delaware and Hudson Railway.
1968 - D&H Railroad was reorganized as the Delaware and Hudson Railway, and was bought by Dereco, a holding company owned by Norfolk and Western Railway that also owned the Erie Lackawanna Railroad.
1970's - D&H becomes independent again after bankruptcy.
1970's - Penn Division, Carbondale to ex-Erie main, and line to Ninevah abandoned.
1984 -, Guilford Rail System purchased the D&H as part of a plan to operate a larger regional railroad from Maine and New Brunswick in the east, to New York and the Midwest in the west, Montreal in the north, and the Philadelphia/Washington DC area in the south.
1988 - Guilford declared the D&H bankrupt. abandoning its operation. Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, purchased the line south of Carbondale to Scranton and serves a growing number of industries in the valley under the auspices of designated-operator Delaware-Lackawanna Railroad.
post 1988 - The federal government appointed the New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway to operate the D&H under subsidy until such time as a buyer could be found. Guilford claimed that the D&H had assets of $70M at the time of the bankruptcy.
1991 - The Canadian Pacific Railway purchased the D&H for $25M to give the transcontinental system a connection between Montreal and the New York City metropolitan area.
1996-2000 - Under CPR, the condition of the former D&H trackage was upgraded significantly (much excess track was removed), as CPR placed it and other money-losing trackage in the eastern U.S. and Canada into a separate operating company named St. Lawrence and Hudson Railway.
Current - CP has started using their new high horsepower AC traction locomotives on the line, instead of their aging SD40-2 models. This is an indication of the increasing importance of reliable service. There are also major signal and track projects underway to modernize the D&H.
Delaware and Hudson Timetable map - 1943
Private Collection of Richard R. Parks(rp)
Wikipedia the free Encyclopedia [web](wik)
Official Guide- Various editions
John J. Gigliotti, City Councilman, Carbondale, PA (jg)
To contact our contributors please make a request by Email to: Richard Parks