Elk Furnace, Clarion County, Pennsylvania
aka Soapfat Furnace, Smearcase Furnace
Elk (aka Soapfat, Smearcase) - is located about 3/4 mile above the site of Deer Creek Furnace along Little Deer Creek in Elk Township. It was built in 1842 by William B. Fitzhugh(jac). In 1850 it was owned by W. B. Fetzer(s&t/ajd). It was a small furnace, 22' high with a 7-1/2' bosh, powered by water. It produced 700 tons in 1845, 1000 tons in 1847, but only 400 tons in 1854, being abandoned in the fall of 1855 when timber was exhausted(unk). This furnace is in poor condition, a pile of stones and rubble, buried in heavy underbrush (P)(V)(rp,km-2004).
Go west from Shippenville on US322 to Soap Fat Road (T410 north - 0.2 miles west of Deer Creek). Follow Soap Fat Road about a mile and park at 41º 16.045'N - 79º 28.362'W. Walk across the road (southwest) into the forest and bear down and to the right about 200 feet to the furnace site. Hank Edenborn visited this site in 2004 and verified the location. Collapsed but still recognisable.
GPS coordinates 41º 16.044'N - 79º 28.413'W.(he-rp,km 2004).
Elk Furnace - 1978
Elk Furnace - October 2004
Elk Furnace Special Sources:
A Guide to the Old Stone Blast Furnaces of Western Pennsylvania, Myron B. Sharp and William H. Thomas (s&t)
Caldwell's Illustrated Historical Combination Atlas of Clarion Co. Pa. J. A. Caldwell(jac) 1877*
History of Clarion County, unknown compiler, cir 1976 (hcc)*
History of Clarion County A. J. Davis (ajd) ed. 1887*
Unspecified Clarion Co. Sources from asterisk list above.(unk)
Hank Edenborn, Finleyville, PA
Karl Mouck, Sandy Lake, PA
Copyright © Richard Parks, Last updated March 13, 2010