An Eastern Regional Railroad of the 1930's - 1940's
Fonda Johnstown & Gloversville Railroad
Click on an open link below or go to the RAILROAD INDEX to locate another Railroad
The Fonda Johnstown & Gloversville Railroad (FJ&G) was a small regional railroad, serving upper New York state communities from the city of Schenectady northwest and north to the lower fringes of the Adirondacks. It operated both steam and electric rail lines, and was into its prime in the 1920's before the advent of increased auto, bus and truck traffic. It operated a steam division from its namesake towns and then east to Broadalbin and northeast to Sacadaga Park and Northville in the lower Adirondack's. The FJ&G also ran electric lines to and from Gloversville, and Johnstown, to
September 26, 1926
Sammonsville and Fonda, and to Amsterdam and Schenectady. As competition of cars, buses and trucks began to take over in the 30's the FJ&G cut back operations and began using high speed Brill cars on it's electric lines, eventually cutting back to Schenectady-Amsterdam commuter service before bowing out completely in about 1938. Buses handled passenger traffic until about 1956. The railroad was dieselized and handled modest amounts of freight traffic until acquired by the Delaware Otsego System of Cooperstown, N.Y. in 1974. The line was abandoned in 1984.
History of the Fonda Johnstown & Gloversville Railroad
The FJ&G history is best described by dividing the steam and electric divisions.
Short Timeline of the Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville, Steam Division
1867 - Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville Railroad Company is founded.
1870 - First train runs on the line.
1895 - The Gloversville & Broadalbin Railroad opens. Rolling stock and maintenance is also provided by the FJ&G.
1922 - 3 Gas powered cars are purchased for high speed passenger service. This is an effort to compete with the growing popularity of automobiles. The FJ&G is one of the first railroads in the state to operate a gas car, as opposed to steam.
1926 - Frequent service from Fonda through Johnstown and Gloversville to Brodalbin, Sacandaga Park and Northville.
1929 - The New York Central Railroad expresses interest in obtaining the FJ&G. FJ&G is interested, but the N.Y.C. doesn't want the electric line and decides against the purchase.
1930 - The Northville branch of the FJ&G is abandoned due to the construction of the Sacandaga Reservoir (Great Sacandaga Lake). The company was awarded over $1 million dollars for the loss. Due to declining business on the line, the railroad decides it isn't worth moving the right of way around the new lake. Buses and trucks are used for freight and passenger service.
1932 - FJ&G acquires the Gloversville and Broadalbin line outright.
1953 - Bus service is discontinued on the Northville route. Truck service remains.
1969 - The Gloversville Passenger Depot burns to the ground. No cause is given.
1974 - After 104 years of business, the FJ&G closes its doors. The Delaware Otsego System of Cooperstown, N.Y. acquires the FJ&G.
1984 - The Delaware Otsego abandons the FJ&G. No interest from outside parties to run the line.
1988 - The last of the remaining box cars are removed from the line. The cars are sold to a Connecticut firm. The line is ripped up shortly after. There is new talk of making it a biking/nature trail.
1990 - The FJG rail line after sitting in Fulton and Montgomery Counties for 120 years is removed. This ended any hope of reopening the line for future use. The FJG Rail Trail now occupies some of the right-of-way between Gloversville and Johnstown with plans to expand.
1995 - Demolition begins on the Gloversville Freight House and Engine shops. The Gloversville Transit Authority now occupies the land.
2000 - Interest in the FJ&G was rekindled when paint manufacturer "Benjamin Moore" expressed interest in rebuilding the line from Fonda to Johnstown. Money to rebuild was an issue and a new Walmart Distribution Warehouse has been built on the old right-of-way North of Sammonsville.
Short Timeline of the Fonda Johnstown & Gloversville Electric Division
1873 - The Johnstown, Gloversville and Kingsboro Horse Railroad (JG&KH) founded (4 miles).
1873 - Amsterdam Street Horse Railroad founded.
1874 - Fonda & Fultonville Horse Railroad founded.
1884 - Fonda & Fultonville abandoned.
1890 - Amsterdam Street Horse. R.R. converted to Electric.
1891 - The Cayadutta Electric Railroad is founded. (8 miles from Johnstown t to Fonda) The Gloversville Street Electric Railway founded.
1893 - CER and GSE are merged.
1893 - Cayadutta Park is built just north of Fonda to compete with Sacandaga Park.
1893 - First electric run from Fonda to Gloversville.
1891 - Mountain Lake Electric Railroad opens.
1902 - Trolley crash on Mountain Lake line kills 13, more are injured.
1902 - Amsterdam Street R.R. connects to Hagaman.
1902 - Gloversville line connects to Amsterdam.
1903 - The CER and JG&KH merged into FJ&G.
1903 - FJ&G electric line connects to Schenectady.
1904 - FJ&G purchases Mountain Lake Line. It is renamed the Adirondack Lakes Traction Company.
1917 - Mountain Lake line abandoned.
1928 - Amsterdam Belt line abandoned.
1929 - Gloversville Belt line abandoned.
1932-3:- The FJ&G purchases five lightweight high-speed bullet cars from the Brill Co. for high speed runs to Amsterdam and Schenectady.
1935 - Fares are cut drastically to try to acquire added business.
1938 - Bridge over Mohawk River between Scotia and Schenectady is condemned, so line into Schenectady is cut. Gloversville to Schenectady line abandoned ending all Trolley service in Fulton County. The FJ&G runs buses on the line.
c 1938 - FJ&G sells lightweight high speed cars to the Bamberger Railroad
1956 - Bus service discontinued.
2000 - The Gloversville Trolley Barn is destroyed by fire. Two minors are charged with Arson.
Fonda Johnstown & Gloversville Railroad - lines cir 1926
Private Collection of Richard R. Parks(rp)
Wikipedia the free Encyclopedia [web](wik)
Official Guide- Various editions
FJGRR.ORG Store The Electric Interurban Railways in America-Hilton & Due- pp 316
To contact our contributors please make a request by Email to: Richard Parks