Fairfield Furnace, Fayette County, Pennsylvania
Fairfield - Is along Georges Creek in Georges Township in a section called White Rock Hollow. It was set up by John Hayden in 1792.(ps/s&t). It was bought by the Oliphant's in 1805(s&t). In 1822 John Oliphant was the listed owner, and also owned nearby Fairchance Furnace(dav). Fairfield was blown out in 1827(s&t) so did not survive to become a part of the larger Fairchance Furnace Company of later years. In 2003 only a small part of one wall is standing and a few furnace stones are scattered about. A newer gravel road paralleling the creek covers most of the site.(P)(V)(rp-1978, rp-2003, rp,ph-2004).
From the Hopwood exit off I40, Hopwood-Fairchance Road
N 39° 52.340' W079° 41.966'.
Going south th road becomes Mountain Road. Continue about 4.2 miles to Elm Street in Fairchance, just over a bridge over Georges Creek.
N 39° 49.568' W079° 44.670'
Turn left on Elm Street and go about 0.3 miles to a bridge over Georges Creek. Go over the bridge and park.
N 39° 49.478' - W079° 44.311'
Walk to the right across a foot bridge over the creek and the furnace ruins are to the right against the hillside.
GPS Coordinates N 39° 49.471' W079° 44.298'(rp-2003, rp,ph 20004)
Only a portion of one wall is standing, and furnace stones are scattered about. A newer gravel road in front of the site covers a good portion of the site.
Remains of Fairfield Furnace pushed back to make room for road - November 2003
Fairfield Furnace remains -November 2003
Note retaining wall left center
Fairfield Furnace Special Sources:
A Guide to the Old Stone Blast Furnaces of Western Pennsylvania, Myron B. Sharp and William H. Thomas (s&t)
Pat & Michael Hom, San Diego, CA
Copyright © Richard Parks, Last updated March 9, 2010