Jefferson Furnace, Clarion County, Pennsylvania
aka Quaking Asp Furnace


Furnace IndexFurnace HomeHome

Jefferson (aka Quaking Asp) - is along Beaver Creek in Beaver Township. Built in 1838 by Armold Plummer & Co. Later S. F. Plummer became the sole proprietor. It was managed by John Haslett, and was in sporadic use. Production in 1845 and 1847 was 800 tons, and in 1856 about 600 tons of forge metal out of limestone and bog ores(hcc). It was a cold blast furnace, powered by water and later by steam(s&t). Abandoned in 1858 mainly from lack of timber(hcc). A large pile of stones and rubble remain and the millrace is visible (P)(V)(rp-1978, km,rp-2004)
To reach Jefferson Furnace exit I80 at exit 53 and go north to Wentlings Corners on PA336. Turn left on Jefferson Furnace Road (SR4005) Follow down across Beaver Creek and park at the far end of the bridge. 41 12.195'N - 79 33.938'W. Walk back across the bridge, enter the woods to the right (south) and look for the millrace. Follow the millrace to the furnace ruins which are about 100 yards into the woods against the base of a small hill, and are only a pile of stones and rubble.
GPS coordinates 41 12.146'N - 79 33.883'W. (rp,km-2004)

Jefferson Furnace Remains - October 2004 - A pile of rule with a few loose furnace stoned

Jefferson Furnace Special Sources:
A Guide to the Old Stone Blast Furnaces of Western Pennsylvania, Myron B. Sharp and William H. Thomas (s&t)
Caldwell's Illustrated Historical Combination Atlas of Clarion Co. Pa. J. A. Caldwell(jac) 1877*
History of Clarion County, unknown compiler, cir 1976 (hcc)*
History of Clarion County A. J. Davis (ajd) ed. 1887*
Unspecified Clarion Co. Sources from asterisk list above.(unk)
Karl Mouck, Sandy Lake, PA
Copyright Richard Parks, Last updated May6, 2010