An Eastern Regional Railroad of the 1930's - 1940's
Monongahela Railway


Click on an open link below or go to the RAILROAD INDEX to locate another Railroad
Rail
Home
Alaska
Canada
Chicago Chicago
Connect,
Eastern Midwest
Southeast Southern Southwest Western


MONlogo

The Monongahela Railway (MGA) was a coal-hauling short line railroad in Pennsylvania and West Virginia in the United States. It was jointly controlled by the Pennsylvania Railroad, New York Central subsidiary Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad, and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, and subsequently by their joint successor Penn Central

Monongahela
Monongahela - April 26, 1931
Transportation. The company operated its own line until it was merged into Conrail on May 1, 1993. The primary connection to the controlling systems was at Brownsville, Pennsylvania - with the south end of the P&LE's Pittsburgh, McKeesport and Youghiogheny Railroad and with the PRR's ex-Brownsville Railway. The PRR also interchanged traffic at Hoover, Pennsylvania, the end of its Coal Lick Run Branch. The B&O Railroad interchanged at Leckrone, Pennsylvania, and Rivesville, West Virginia. The MGA was headquartered and its base of operations was Brownsville, Pennsylvania (wik).
In 1930 the NGA was operating 171 miles of track and ran two trains daily between Brownsville, Pennsylvania and Fairmont, West Virginia., 68 miles By 1950 all passenger service was discontinued. Norfolk Southern and CSX bought the MGA in 1993.

Brief History of the Monongahela Railway

The Pennsylvania connection to Pittsburgh
1867 - The Pittsburgh, Virginia and Charleston Railway (PVC) was chartered by the Pennsylvania General Assembly as the Monongahela Valley Railroad (MVR) in April 1867, with the right to construct a railroad connecting Pittsburgh to Waynesburg. Pennsylvania.
1870 - The MVR was renamed Pittsburgh, Virginia and Charleston Railway in February 1870.
1872 - By November 1872, when the first segment opened from 4th Street in South Pittsburgh (now South Side Pittsburgh) to Homestead, the Pennsylvania had gained control. The primary purpose of this acquisition was to allow the Pennsylvania to construct a southern bypass around the congestion of Pittsburgh, via a short connection to the Main Line near Turtle Creek.
1873 -The line was extended to Monongahela City in 1873,
1874 - The company began operating a steamboat beyond to Brownsville.
1875 - Trains began running into downtown Pittsburgh's Union Station in 1875, crossing the Monongahela on the Panhandle Bridge.
1878 - The connection near Turtle Creek was completed in August 1878, with the opening of the Port Perry Branch and Port Perry Bridge.
1879 - The Pennsylvania began operating the PV&C under lease as its Monongahela Division.
1883 - The PV&C Railway served Brownsville as evidenced by an old lithograph of the Three Towns showing a diamond stacked locomotive coupled to four passenger cars, ready for a northward move, sitting on the track close to the Snowden House and the United States Post Office.
1893 - However, the June, 1893, Official Guide (page 324), does not indicate any passenger service to Brownsville off the Redstone Branch.
The; Southwest Pennsylvania Railway (SWP)
1868 - The Uniontown and West Virginia Railroad Company (UWV) was incorporated April 2,1868, to construct a railroad from Uniontown, Pennsylvania to West Virginia State line.
1871 - The Southwest Pennsylvania Railway Company was incorporated March 16, 1871. The company was authorized to construct a railroad, with one or more tracks, from the Pennsylvania Railroad at or near Greensburg, Westmoreland Co., Pa., by way of Connellsville, to Uniontown, Fayette Co., and thence to the boundary line of West Virginia.
pre-1874 - Much of work on the UWV roadbed from Uniontown to Fairchance is done but financial difficulties plague the UWV.
1874 - UWV sold at a sheriff's sale to John Snider, a contractor for the line.
1876 - The SWP completed road extention from Connellsville as far south as Mount Braddock, and in the fall of 1876 was opened to Uniontown.
1877 - In August, 1877, the SWP purchased the rights and franchises of the UWV Railroad Company, and the road was continued about seven miles southward from Uniontown to Fairchance.
The Monongahela Railroad (Railway - 1915)
1901 - The Monongahela Railroad was a joint venture of the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) and the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad (P&LE), both of which had plans to extend their lines in the area. The board of directors held their first meeting in January 1901.
c 1901 - The newly formed MGA acquired many lines in the area from the PV&C as well as the Southwest Pennsylvania Railway Company, as well as the 19 mile right of way from Brownsville to Adah from the PRR, for the sum of $519,696.13.
1903 - The Dunlap Creek branch opened which served several mines and coke works and also interchanged with the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.
In 1909, the 4.2 mi Rush Run branch was constructed, and a patch town (Sarah, Pennsylvania) was constructed to house the workers at what would have been a coal mine. It was later determined, however, that the coal did not belong to the mine developer, and the line was abandoned, the town was scrapped. Only four trains ever ran on this line, those carrying the ballast to complete the track.
In 1910, the federal government condemned the low-clearance covered bridge in Bridgeport (now South Brownsville), and the Monongahela Railroad bought the bridge company and removed the bridge. In the same year, they installed a 10-stall roundhouse in Bridgeport. This was to be the main yard for the railroad throughout its history of operations.
1911 - The railroad served seven mines and fifty one coke works (with 34 coke works and 1 mine being on the Dunlap Creek Division) The daily rated output was 1,395 cars of coke and 280 cars of coal.
1911-1912 - The big push was the state line extension, to make a connection with the Buckhannon and Northern Railway (B&N). It involved a major river crossing, and two large creek crossings.
1915 - On July 1 the MGA consolidated with the B&N to form the Monongahela Railway Company (MRY), still under the control of the parent companies (PRR and P&LE).
1927 -In 1927 the Baltimore and Ohio railroad acquired 1/3 (1/6 from each the PRR and P&LE) of the capital stock of the Monongahela Railway, securing their interests in the coal producing area it served.
1930 -On January 1, 1930, the Ten Mile branch opened. This branch still serves several coal mines as of 2008.
1930 - The MGA was operating 171 miles of track and ran two trains daily between Brownsville, Pennsylvania and Fairmont, West Virginia., 68 miles.
1950 - On October 21, 1950, the Monongahela Railway discontinued passenger service.
1952 -On November 25 the Monongahela Railway ran its first Baldwin S-12 diesel locomotive. This marked the beginning of the end of their fleet of steam locomotives,
1954 - the last one MGA steam locomotive operated on May 26, 1954.
1968 - In June the Waynesburg Southern Railroad Company (organized in the interest of the PRR) opened a line from Waynesburg to Consolidated Coal Company's Blacksville No. 1 mine and Eastern Gas & Fuel Company's Federal No. 2 mine. This line is still in service as of 2007.
1975 - In November 6 the track was removed on the Dunlap Creek Branch and the real estate disposed.
1993 - On May 1, 1993, the Monongahela Railway was merged into the Consolidated Rail Corporation (Conrail)).
1993 - Norfolk Southern and CSX bought the MGA.

 map


Our Sources
Private Collection of Richard R. Parks(rp)
Wikipedia the free Encyclopedia [web](wik)
Official Guide- Various additions
RR History of Fayette Co, 1882
To contact our contributors please make a request by Email to: Richard Parks

PLEASE SEND US YOUR COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS.


Railroad Index Back to Top Contact Us

Web Page Written and Maintained by Richard Parks
Copyright Richard Parks, April 29, 2009