Southwestern Regional Railroads - 1930's - 1940's
Midland Valley Railroad
Kansas Oklahoma & Gulf Railway
Oklahoma City-Ada-Atoka Railway
Click on an open link below or go to the RAILROAD INDEX to locate another Railroad
The Midland Valley Railroad, the Kansas Oklahoma & Gulf Railway and the Oklahoma City-Ada-Atoka Railway were a small group of railroads in the states of Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Texas, commonly known as the Muskogee Roads. The MV and the KO&G crossed each other at Muskogee, Oklahoma, while the OCAA crossed the KO&G at Tupelo, Oklahoma, south of Muskogee. They all were under common management, and the all were headquartered in Muskogee,
A few historical facts about the Muskogee Roads
1903 - The Midland Valley Railroad was incorporated in 1903 for the purpose of building a line from Hope, Arkansas, through Muskogee and Tulsa, Oklahoma to Wichita, Kansas. The railroad took its name from Midland, Arkansas, a coal mining town in western Arkansas which was served by the railroad. The Midland Valley gained access to Fort Smith, Arkansas via trackage rights over the Frisco from Rock Island, Oklahoma. Muskogee, Oklahoma, was home to the Midland Valley's headquarters and shops. C. Jared Ingersoll was a majority owner of the MV from its inception.
cir 1907-12 - KO&G is formed and built from Baxter Springs. Kansas, through Muskogee, Oklahoma to Denison, Texas, to serve, among other things, the lumber industry in northern Indian Territory, to become Oklahoma.
1923 - The Muskogee Company is organized by the Ingersoll brothers.
1923 - The KO&G is in receivership and is purchased by the Muskogee Company.
1923 - M-K-T railroad was reorganized but the OCAA was left out of the reorganization.
1925 - The Midland Valley acquired the Kansas, Oklahoma and Gulf Railway. Both railroads were owned by the Muskogee Company.
1926 - The MV and KO&G are merged.
1929 - The Muskogee Company purchased Oklahoma City-Ada-Atoka Railway.
1929-1864 - The MV, KO&G and OCAA railroads were operated as common property by the Muskogee Company.
1930-40's - Limited passenger service, much by motor cars on the Muskogee Roads. The MV from Pawhuska, Oklahoma through Muskogee to Fort Smith, Arkansas; the KO&G from Muskogee to Denison, Texas; and the OCAA from Oclahoma City to Ada and Atoka.
1934 - In October the MV has discontinued passenger service, and substituted mixed train service..
1943 - By 1943 the OCAA has discontinued passenger service.
1943 - MV abandons Hartford branch Excelsior to Hartford Jct., 10 miles.
early 1950's - The KO&G Muskogee=Denison passenger motor car is finally discontinued.
1964 - The Muskogee Roads were purchased by the Texas and Pacific Railway, a MoPac subsidiary. MV mixed train service is ended.
post-1964 - The OCAA was sold to the Santa Fe.
1967 - OCAA merged into the Santa Fe.
1967 - The MV was merged into the T&P, and operated as a branch line for a number of years.
1968 - Excelsior to Panama segment of MV is abandoned by MP.
1994 - KCS files to abandon the Panama to Bokoshe portion of former MV.
Current - Most of the Midland Valley has now been abandoned.
Kansas Oklahoma & Gulf
Private Collection of Richard R. Parks(rp)
Wikipedia the free Encyclopedia [web](wik)
Official Guides- 1943 & 1950
Fort Smith Area Railroads-Historical Timeline, Mike Sypult, Fayetteville, Arkansas
April 27, 2009, revised June 13, 2011