Marion Furnace, Butler County, Pennsylvania
Marion - is on North Slippery Rock Creek in Marion Township. It was built in 1848 or 1850 by Robert Breeden and James Kerr, and blown out in 1862. It was a cold blast charcoal furnace producing about 18 tons of iron a week(s&t).Several rows of stone remain on one side showing one of the furnace openings but all the rest is gone.(P)(V)(rp-1978, rp,dd-2004).
Go to Harrisville on PA8. Turn east on PA58 for about 3.3 miles to a bridge over a creek. Then turn left at the east end of the bridge onto SR4013 (At the Rock Springs Presbyterian Church sign). Go north on this road about 0.4 miles to the intersection of Bailey Road. Park here at 41º 08.240' N - 79º 56.855'W. Walk west across the road and enter the woods at a culvert and follow a faint path to the left and toward the creek. You will pass the charging bench to the furnace and below it next to the creek are the furnace remains. Several rows of stone are still standing with one opening on the creek side. A millrace and much slag are about. There are remains of a long dam and several roads in addition to the millrace through the valley. The stack is a short distance below the dam.
GPS coordinates 41º 08.237'N - 79º 56.879'W. (rp,dd-2004)
Marion Furnace 1965 (s&t)
Marion Furnace 1978
Marion Furnace, Oct. 2004 (rp/dd)
Marion Furnace, Retaining Wall
for Charging Bench, Oct. 2004 (rp/dd)
Marion Furnace Special Sources:
A Guide to the Old Stone Blast Furnaces of Western Pennsylvania, Myron B. Sharp and William H. Thomas (s&t)
Dan and Chris Dundon, Erie Pennsylvania (dd)
Copyright © Richard Parks, Last updated Februart 8, 2010