Old Laurel Furnace, Fayette County, Pennsylvania
Old Laurel - Is also along Morgan Run in Dunbar Township. It was built in 1797 on Laurel Run (now Morgan Run) by John Gibson and Samuel Paxson. It later was sold to Reuben Mochabee and Samuel Wurtz, who added Hampton Forge on Indian Creek (then called Salt Lick Creek). The forge was located ½ mile upstream from its junction with the Youghiogheny River. Much of the outer stonework had been removed probably to build New Laurel Furnace (s&t). A fair pile of furnace stones and rubble remained however. (P)(V)(rp-1981-2003-2005).
To reach this location follow SR 1055 east from the bridge over Dunbar Creek in Dunbar. N 39° 58.304' W 79° 36.831'. Go about 4-3/4 miles east on SR1055. Going uphill the road turns to the right and a road T545 (dirt in early 1960's) continues straight up the hill. N 39° 55.969' W 79° 33.252'. Follow this road a little over a mile to where it crosses Morgan Run. Cross the run and park in the hunter's parking lot on the left side of the road. N 39° 55.873' W 79° 32.091'. Walk up the road about 10 feet and notice a hunter's path to the left going downstream on the right side of Morgan Run. Follow this trail a little over 100 yards until it approaches Morgan Run (N 39° 55.920' W 79° 32.065'). Ford the run at this point and climb the small hill on the west bank. You will be standing above the wheel pit, with the tail race running down to the right. The furnace remains are an obscure pile of stones and rubble on the far side of the wheel pit.
GPS coordinates N 39° 55.930' W 79° 32.074' about 20 feet from the remains. (rp-2005)
Old Laurel Furnace - October 1978
Looking North on West side of creek.
A pile of rubble
Old Laurelk Furnace - October 2005
Looking west just above creek bank.
A smaller pile of rubble
Old Laurel Furnace Special Sources:
A Guide to the Old Stone Blast Furnaces of Western Pennsylvania, Myron B. Sharp and William H. Thomas (s&t)
Copyright © Richard Parks, Last updated March16, 2010