A Southwest Regional Railroad - 1930's - 1940's
Quanah Acme & Pacific Railway

Click on an open link below or go to the RAILROAD INDEX to locate another Railroad
Chicago Chicago
Eastern Midwest
Southeast Southern Southwest Western

The Quanah Acme & Pacific Railway (QA&P) was a short line railway running from Red River, Texas, 120 miles, to Floydada. Texas. It had a branch line from the main, near Roaring Springs to Matador, Texas, 12 miles. The QA&P started out in 1909 as the Acme Red River & Northern to provide connections between companies manufacturing cement and plaster products, from large gypsum mines near Acme, with the Frisco (StL-SF) in Red River. Later, the raod desired to open up to the cattle country and to the Pacific connections to the west, and the Quanah Acme & Pacific was formed from the ARR&N in 1909. It reached westward to Roaring Springs in 1913 and Floydada in 1929 forming the "Floydada Gateway" hoping to enjoy long haul traffic between the Santa Fe, at Floydada, and the Frisco, at the Red River. After disputes and lawsuits with the Santa Fe the gatewy opened to long haul traffic and was successful in this until 1973 when the Frisco and Santa Fe decided to choose alternate connections. Business declined until the QWA&P began to abandon and shut down in the early 80's. The Quanah, for a brief period in the 30's, ran a name train the "Plainsman" from Red River to Floydada, and advertised connections with the Frisco to northeastern destinations. The small remaining line from Acme to Quanah is now under BN/SF ownership.
Quanah Acme & Pacific - June 21, 1931
History of the Quanah Acme & Pacific Railway
The Acme area, near Quanah, was a mining area for gypsum which was made into plaster and cement products in nearby plants.
1900 - Two competing plaster operations were well established -- the Acme Plaster Company at Acme owned by Samuel Lazarus, and the Salina Cement Plaster Company a mile north at Agatite. The two plaster operations had different rail access; Lazarus' ownership included the tracks and switching locomotive on company property, while the Agatite operation was switched by the Acme Tap Railroad controlled by the Fort Worth & Denver City.
c 1900 - Lazarus believed his business was constrained by the rates and service offered by the FW&DC so he conceived a plan to build his own railroad north to Oklahoma. Such was the genesis of the Acme, Red River and Northern Railway (ARR&N).
1902 - The ARR&N is started.
post 1902 - FW&DC makes agreement with ARR&N to provide trackage rights Acme to Quanah and the Frisco connection to Oklahoma City. This works for several years until Lazarus decides to build west to the cattle country and to a connection to the Pacific to create a through route west to east.
1909 - The ARR&N was re-chartered as the Quanah, Acme and Pacific Railway and announced plans to expand west from Quanah toward the plains of Texas.
1909 - QA&P completed 35 miles of construction from Acme to Paducah, which remained the end of the line for nearly three years as management contemplated possible extensions to the west through Motley County, where the terrain was much rougher.
1913 - Roaring Springs, 75 miles from Quanah, was reached in the summer of 1913.
1916 - The Quanah owned six locomotives, fifty-eight freight cars, two passenger cars, and ten company cars and earned $63,932 in passenger revenue, $241,196 in freight revenue, and $9,522 in other revenue.
1917-1928 - WW1, financial and legal issues prevented the QA&P from extending westward toward its El Paso goal.
1927 - The Motley County Railroad was a bare-bones line that struggled to maintain operations throughout its existence. It was acquire by the QA&P in 1927.
1928- ICC approved QA&P extension to Floydada.
c 1928 - QA&P builds line east from Acme through Quanah to connect to the Frisco at Red River, 8 miles, and gives up trackage rights on FW&DC.
1929 - QA&P extended to Floydada, 112 miles from Quanah. Mixed train service to Matador was established.,
1931 - The Quanah is running a name train the "Plainsman" from Quanah to Floydada, with connections at Quanah with the Frisco as far as St. Louis, and with the Santa Fe at Floydada.
early 30's - The Santa Fe resists QA&P attempts at interchanging long haul traffic.
1934 - The Matador branch is abandoned.
1934 - QA&P files suits to open the line to long haul traffic.
1938 - ICC rules in QA&P favor and Floydada gateway is opened.
1939-1973 - QA&P prospers with much long haul traffic.
1973 - Frisco & Santa Fe agree to use alternate routes for long haul traffic and QA&P reverts to local traffic as business declines.
1979 - Line from Paducah to Floydada abandoned.
1980 - Frisco becomes part of Burlington-Northern spelling near end of QA&P.
c1982 - Paducah to Acme line is abandoned.
Current - The only trackage of the old QA^P is the line from Acme east to the connection with the BN/SF (old Frisco), replacing the former FW&D (FW&DC) trackage to Quanah.
Quanah Acme & Pacific - 1931
Our Sources
Private Collection of Richard R. Parks(rp)
Wikipedia the free Encyclopedia [web](wik)
Official Guide- Various editions
http://www.abandonedrails.com/quanah.html Home
To contact our contributors please make a request by Email to: Richard Parks


Your source for 1930's - 1940's Passenger Railroad Information

Railroad Index Back to Top Contact Us

Web Page Written and Maintained by Richard Parks
Copyright Richard Parks, April 30,, 2009, revised Oct. 3, 2001