Raymilton Furnace, Venango County, Pennsylvania


Furnace IndexFurnace HomeHome

Raymilton - is along Sandy Creek in the town of Raymilton in Mineral Township. The village of Raymilton was founded by A. W. Raymond, who built the furnace in 1846. Raymilton operated a number of industries on the site, all of which were run by water power. Included were a store, a mill, and a small foundry where he made plows, hoes, pots, etc. for the local farmers. The name of the village is a contraction of Raymond's Mill Town. During the early spring, before heavy vegetation, several millraces can be seen in the flats on the side of the road. The furnace operated for about 10 years. The furnace is in poor condition. One opening can be seen and parts of three walls are standing. An old building beside the furnace had a large water wheel in the basement. It was used for the furnace and after the furnace was out of blast to drive oil pumps, saw mills, etc(s&t/evc). (P)(V)(rp-1977, he-2003).
Proceed from Franklin west on US62 through Polk and to the junction of SR3015 at the top of Doty Hill. Turn left to the village of Raymilton. Go under the railroad underpass and across Sandy Creek. Park at this point. Walk left parallel to the creek through thick brush (he). There was at one time a dirt road and old building ruins, but when Hank Edenborn visited this site in Oct. 2003 the lane and buildings had disappeared. Approximately one block through the brush you should come to the furnace which is almost in the back yard of a house next to the road paralleling the creek. There should be the remains of the old millrace at this location.
GPS Location N 41 20.182' W079 58.485' (he-2003).

Raymilton Furnace - 1977

Raymilton Furnace - 1977

Raymilton Furnace - 1977

Raymilton Furnace - 1977

Raymilton Furnace Special Sources:
A Guide to the Old Stone Blast Furnaces of Western Pennsylvania, Myron B. Sharp and William H. Thomas (s&t)
Exploring Venango County prepared for the Venango County Bicentennial Commision, 1976(evc).
J. A. Caldwell (hvc) publisher History of Venango County, by Edward (Kirke) White, 1879
The News Herald, Thur. Jul 27, 1978 (tnh)
Isaac Harris (pbd) publisher The Pittsburgh Business Directory, 1837
Hank Edenborn, Finleyville, PA
Copyright Richard Parks, January 23, 2010