Shadyside Furnace, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Shadyside - Shadyside "was built by George Anshutz, Anthony Beelen and William Amberson in 1793. It was in blast for only about a year, closing because the nearby ore supply failed and ore brought in from Roaring Run near Apollo proved to be too expensive.
The furnace stood at the foot of Amberson Avenue and to the right (in Pittsburgh). When the Pennsylvania Railroad was built through this valley in about 1860 the furnace was torn down and nothing remains(s&t).
When Alexander Pitcairn's house was being built, the cinder bank supposedly was uncovered; but this either is incorrect or the furnace was farther up the run than the histories say, because the slag or cinder piles were always downhill from stacks, never above. So much construction has taken place in this area in the past century and a half that it is doubtful if the exact site ever can be located" (quote from s&t) See Pittsburgh maps for location.
Shadyside neighborhood in Pittsburgh near site of Shadyside Furnace at north end of Amberson Avenue now covered by the Norfolk Southern Railroad (Formerly Pennsylvasnias, Penn-Central and Conrail)..
Furnace Special Sources:
A Guide to the Old Stone Blast Furnaces of Western Pennsylvania, Myron B. Sharp and William H. Thomas (s&t)
Copyright © Richard Parks, Last updated February 6, 2010