St. Charles Furnace, Clarion County, Pennsylvania
aka Carr;s, Leatherwood or Cocheco Furnaces


Furnace IndexFurnace HomeHome

St, Charles (aka Carr's, Leatherwood, Cocheco) - is along Leatherwood Run in Porter Township. Built in 1834(s&t) or 1844/45(jac) by John and Samuel Wilson of Strattonville as a cold blast water powered charcoal furnace. It was 33' high with a 10' bosh. In 1846 it was purchased by J. & P. Kerr of Clarion. In 1845 and 1847 the production was 1000 tons, and in 1850 2000 tons. Originally a charcoal furnace; used coke from Freeport lower coal for one year, and one year on raw coal from Freeport upper bed. The only Clarion County furnace to use raw coal. In 1857 it was changed to hot blast steam power and coke(s&t).In 1861 it was leased to Michael McCune who operated it until 1865 when it went out of blast(s&t) A quite large number of furnace stone rows remain. (P)(V)(rp-1977, rp,km-2004).
From New Bethlehem follow PA861 west to its junction with SR2007. Turn right on SR2007 for about 400 feet to 41 01.301'N - 79 23.317'W. The stack is to the right and about 20 feet below the road in very heavy underbrush in a mostly disheveled condition.
GPS coordinates 41 01.295'N - 79 23.302'W.(rp,km-2004)

St. Charles Furnace - October 2004

St. Charles Furnace - October 2004

St. Charles Furnace - October 2004

St. Charles Furnace Special Sources:
A Guide to the Old Stone Blast Furnaces of Western Pennsylvania, Myron B. Sharp and William H. Thomas (s&t)
Caldwell's Illustrated Historical Combination Atlas of Clarion Co. Pa. J. A. Caldwell(jac) 1877*
History of Clarion County, unknown compiler, cir 1976 (hcc)*
History of Clarion County A. J. Davis (ajd) ed. 1887*
Unspecified Clarion Co. Sources from asterisk list above.(unk)
Karl Mouck, Sandy Lake, PA

Copyright Richard Parks, January 20, 2010