Stewardson Furnace, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania
Stewardson - Is along Mahoning Creek in Pine Township. It was built in 1851 by Stewardson and Laughlin. Intended to use coke it had little success at first but later was quite successful. It was 43 feet high with an 11 foot bosh and a capacity of 75 to 80 tons a week until it went out of blast
sometime after 1880. There are coke ovens farther up the hill(s&t). We photographed this site. Part of the inner lining, portions of the outer walls, many loose stones and part of the retaining wall are visible. There are huge slag piles. (P)(V)(rp1978-2004)
Drive north from Templeton on SR1003 to Mahoning. Just before crossing Mahoning Creek turn right on Stewartson Road, 40º 55.950'N - 79º 27.613W'
Proceed about 1.6 miles on this road to where it starts a long right turn while turning up hill. Park at the edge of the road. 40º 56.175'N - 79º 26.564W'. Walk into the woods on the
right about 50 feet and you will be at the remains of the furnace.
GPS Coordinates 40º 56.161'N - 79º 26.577W' (P)(V)(rrp 2004).
Stewardson Furnace - November 2004
Stewardson Furnace - November 2004<
Stewardson Furnace Special Sources:
A Guide to the Old Stone Blast Furnaces of Western Pennsylvania, Myron B. Sharp and William H. Thomas (s&t)
Copyright © Richard Parks, Last updated February 5, 2010