Texas Furnace, Venango County, Pennsylvania
Texas - along the north bank of Sugar Creek in Cooperstown, Jackson Township. It was built in 1840 by James Porter, of Indiana County. It was leased for a time by McCalmont and Bush and was blown out before 1846(s&t). Most of the cut stones have been removed for other construction(evc) and now only a small pile of furnace stones, bricks and rubble remain. A millrace is visible as well as a field of slag. (P)(V)(rp-1977, is-2004).
From the village of Wyattville (West of Franklin on US322) turn right on PA427 to Cooperstown. After crossing the bridge over Sugar Creek turn left on Foster Road, (Tologo Road per Penndot)(T372), the road that parallels the creek. Follow this for 0.6 miles to a farm on the left side of the road. The furnace is about 0.15 miles behind the barn and to the right. Look for the millrace following the hillside until you see a small pile of stones to the right of the millrace. Slag is plentiful in the area. (1977).
GPS coordinates 41º 29.487'N - 79º 52.693'W (is-2004)
Texas Furnace - 1977
Texas Furnace Special Sources:
A Guide to the Old Stone Blast Furnaces of Western Pennsylvania, Myron B. Sharp and William H. Thomas (s&t)
Exploring Venango County prepared for the Venango County Bicentennial Commision, 1976(evc).
J. A. Caldwell (hvc) publisher History of Venango County, by Edward (Kirke) White, 1879
The News Herald, Thur. Jul 27, 1978 (tnh)
Isaac Harris (pbd) publisher The Pittsburgh Business Directory, 1837
Ian Straffin, Meadville, PA
Copyright © Richard Parks, January 24, 2010