Tippecanoe Furnace, Clarion County, Pennsylvania
Tippecanoe - is along Canoe Creek in Beaver Township about 1.5 miles above Eagle Furnace. Was built by Black and Maxwell in 1844. Named for "Tippecanoe and Tyler Too", the furnace was a cold blast steam powered plant. It was operated by King and Maxwell, producing 1000 tons in 1845 and 1847. It was abandoned in 1851(hcc). The remains consist of a short pile of stones (P)(V)(rp-1978, rp/he-2004).
Follow PA338 south 2.9 miles from its junction with PA208 in Knox. Turn east (left) on SR4005 and go 1-3/4 miles to its junction with Thompson Hills Road (T416) to the right. About 70 feet before crossing the bridge over Canoe Creek you can see the ruins to the right about 40 feet from the road.
GPS coordinates 41º 11.404'N - 79º 30.959'W.(rp-2004)
Tippecanoe Furnacee - October 2004
Tippecanoe Furnace - October 2004
Tippecanoe Furnace Special Sources:
A Guide to the Old Stone Blast Furnaces of Western Pennsylvania, Myron B. Sharp and William H. Thomas (s&t)
Caldwell's Illustrated Historical Combination Atlas of Clarion Co. Pa. J. A. Caldwell(jac) 1877*
History of Clarion County, unknown compiler, cir 1976 (hcc)*
History of Clarion County A. J. Davis (ajd) ed. 1887*
Unspecified Clarion Co. Sources from asterisk list above.(unk)
Copyright © Richard Parks, January 20, 2010