Welcome to Clarion County Old Stone Furnaces


Click a furnace link below to read about the furnace and where to find it
Beaver
Black's
Black Fox
Buchanan
Carr's
Catfish
Clarion
Clinton
Cocheco
Corsica
Deer Creek
Eagle
Elk
Franklin
Helen
Hemlock
Highland
Jefferson
Katen
Keating
Leatherwood
Licking
Limestone
Lucinda
Madison
Martha
Mary Ann
Monroe
Mt.Pleasant
New Redbank
Pike
Polk
Prospect
Quaking Asp
Redbank
Richland
St. Charles
Sarah
Shippenville
Sligo
Smearcase
Soapfat
Tippecanoe
Washington
Wildcat


or Click a link below to go to another county or elsewhere
Allegheny
Armstrong
Beaver
Bedford
Blair
Butler
Cambria
Clarion
Clearfield
Erie
Fayette
Forest
Greene
Indiana
Lawrence
Mercer
Somerset
Venango
Westmoreland
Furnace Home
Furnace Index
Home

CLARION COUNTY

in Northwest PENNSYLVANIA
at one time had 31 iron furnaces, the most of any county in Western Pennsylvania, however there are very few good remains left.. We were able to find and photograph the remains of 26. and 5 are thought to have no trace remaining. The best preserved is Buchanan, although a rebuilt Helen was in better shape, with a new charging bench and steam pit, until huricane Ivan, in 2004, wiped out the charging bench and tore down one wall. Helen has now been restored except for the charging bench. Other good sites are Eagle, St. Charles and Washington. Limestone is a very interesting large pile of furnace stones buried among a very dark grove of trees, and which can be photographed well only in the early morning sunlight.



Coke Ovens New Redbank Retaining Wall New Redbank
Coke Ovens and Retaining Wall - New Redbank

Buchanan Furnace
Buchanan Furnace

Trackman Badges
Trackman Badges
New Redbank


Metal Artifacts New Redbank
Metal Artifacts
New Redbank

Black Fox - Built along Black Fox Run in Perry Township in 1844 by Lawson & Co.(jac), or Welsh & Co. Bought by Adams & Varnum in 1848. Failed in 1850. Purchased in sheriff's sale by Jacob Painter et al. Samuel Barr was superintendent. It had other owners including Jones &Co., Joseph M. Thompson, and I. M. Boyd. It was a hot blast steam powered furnace 30' high with 9' bosh. In 1845 production was 1000 tons, in 1858 2000 tons. A boiler explosion in 1858 killed one man and led to its abandonment(unk). No trace remains. An interesting feature of this site is its "popcorn" slag.
Go west from Callensburg on PA368 to West Freedom, about 3.5 miles. Turn south on SR3001 for about 2.4 miles to Black Fox Road to the left (old LR16086?). (You will have passed an earlier road to the left [SR3004?]. Do not take this road as it does not go to Black Fox Run). Proceed on Black Fox Road about 1-3/4 miles. The furnace was on a level spot just above the road on the right, and below a lane going up the hill. An interesting feature of this location is its popcorn slag which is unique.
Coordinates 41 3.982'N - 79 37.322'.to top
Corsica (aka Mt. Pleasant) - was northwest of Corsica in Clarion Township. It was built in 1849 by G. W. Corbett, Solomon Cyphert, and George Reynolds. It was 30' high with an 8' bosh. Average annual production was about 500 tons from nearby ore. Sold to J. P. Brown, (Brown, Phillips & Company), in 1850. In the summer or fall of 1961 it was pushed over by a strip mining operation. When s&t visited in October of that year it had not been removed or covered up. The salamander was there, on edge; also a piece consisting of three pigs, and several long pieces of 12' or 14' cast iron pipe which probably were part of the blast piping(s&t).
Take US322 west from Corsica in Jefferson County for about 1-3/4 miles to Potter Road (T560?). Turn Right (north) for 0.6 miles to the intersection with Ashbury Road (T566). The furnace was located about 100 feet north of a house and barn that you will see at this point. Land and roads have been changed due to strip mining operations. Coordinates 41 11.45'N - 79 13.74'W..
Deer Creek - was just west of Shipppenville along Deer Creek in Elk Township. It was built in 1844 by Kerr and Hasson(jac). At one time it was owned by Mease and Co(hcc). It was a cold blast, water powered, one tuyere furnace with a production in 1847 1100 tons. (Per s&t maximum production was 900 tons). Sold by the sheriff in 1850. Abandoned 1851(unk). The stack is under the town dump and road and no trace remains.(jm-2003). West of Shippenville just before Deer Creek the old road bears to the right and about 200 feet on the left is the town dump.
Coordinates 41 15.31'N - 79 28.47'W . to top
Sligo - On a branch of Licking Creek in Piney Township at village of Sligo. Built in 1845 by Lyon, Shorb &. Co. Named for Sligo, headquarters of the company's iron works in Pittsburgh. Owners were William Lyon of Pittsburgh, J. P. Lyon of Sligo, Anthony Shorb and Thomas McCullough of Sligo. It was a steam powered furnace, originally cold blast, changed to hot blast in 1857. Production in 1845 and 1847 was 1500 tons. Produced 2400 tons rolling mill iron in 1856. Abandoned 1871(hcc). Sligo flowed their metal into "chill"s, and shipped their iron to Pittsburgh from Crary's Dam at Callensburg(ajd). The furnace is no longer visible, In the 1960's the site was covered by a loading dock of a Pennzoil bulk plant(s&t), however this plant is now gone and newer residential areas cover the spot (V)(rp-2005)
To reach this point go east from Callensburg on PA58 to Sligo. At the western edge of town the road crosses a bridge. Just over the bridge and to the left, in the 1960's, there was a large old frame building that at one time was a grist mill. In back of this building was a tall square brick chimney, which was the chimney for the old furnace boiler house. Beside this old mill was a Pennzoil Bulk Plant. The old furnace site was at the location of the truck loading ramp(s&t). In 2005 this entire area was residential and no traces of the old site remain.(rp) Approximate coordinates 41 07.31'N - 79 30.62'W. to top
Clarion County Special Sources:
Caldwell's Illustrated Historical Combination Atlas of Clarion Co. Pa. J. A. Caldwell(jac) 1877*
History of Pennsylvania 1847, I. D. Rupp(idr)*
Christian Myers, Migrant Iron Master and Founder of Clarion Co. Paul E. Beck(peb) Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society Journal, undated.*
History of Clarion County, unknown compiler, cir 1976 (hcc)*
History of Clarion County A. J. Davis (ajd) ed. 1887*
Unspecified Clarion Co. Sources from asterisk list above.(unk)
Convention of Ironmasters publication, Philadelphia 1849(cim)
Bill Ramsey and Wilbur Bauer(wb), Helen Furnace restoration
Scott Heberling(sh), Archaeological Mitigation Report-Clarion Furnace
Jim Mayuric(jem), Armstrong Co. Redbank Furnace pictures --> The Old Stone Blast Furnace in Western Pennsylvania, by Myron B. Sharp and William H. Thomas(s&t) and published by the Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania, 1965 and 1966.
Caldwell's Illustrated Historical Combination Atlas of Clarion Co. Pa. J. A. Caldwell(jac) 1877*
History of Pennsylvania 1847, I. D. Rupp(idr)*
Christian Myers, Migrant Iron Master and Founder of Clarion Co. Paul E. Beck(peb) Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society Journal, undated.*
History of Clarion County, unknown compiler, cir 1976 (hcc)*
History of Clarion County A. J. Davis (ajd) ed. 1887*
Unspecified Clarion Co. Sources from asterisk list above.(unk)
Convention of Ironmasters publication, Philadelphia 1849(cim)
Hank Edenborn, Finleyville, Pa., Clinton, Eagle, Elk, Helen, Hemlock, Limestone, Madison, Mary Ann, Shippenville (he)
Dan & Chris Dundon, Erie, Pa,. Madison, Wildcat, ((dd)
Karl Mouck, Sandy Lake, Pa,. Washington, St. Charles, Richland, Jefferson, Shippenville, Elk, Eagle, Madison(km)
Pat & Michael Hom, San Diego, Ca., Prospect, Pike, Buchanan, Wildcat, Richland, Redbank, (ph)
Bill Ramsey and Wilbur Bauer(wb), Helen Furnace restoration
Scott Heberling(sh), Archaeological Mitigation Report-Clarion Furnace
Jim Mayuric(jem), Armstrong Co. Redbank Furnace pictures


Your source for Western Pennsylvania Iron Furnace Information

Iron Furnace Home Furnace Index Back to Top

Contact us with comments and suggestions e-mail

Web Page Written and Maintained by Richard Parks
Copyright Richard Parks, Last updated March 12, 2010