Welcome to Erie County Old Stone Furnaces


Click a furnace link below to read about the Furnace and where to find it
New Erie Furnace Old Erie Furnace


or Click a link below to go to another county or elsewhere
Allegheny
Armstrong
Beaver
Bedford
Blair
Butler
Cambria
Clarion
Clearfield
Erie
Fayette
Forest
Greene
Indiana
Lawrence
Mercer
Somerset
Venango
Westmoreland
Furnace Home
Furnace Index
Home

ERIE COUNTY

in Northwestern Pennsylvania had two furnaces with no remains. They were both built in what is now downtown Erie and subsequent building has obliterated all signs of these furnaces. They were both known as Erie Furnace, however to distinguish them from each other we have given them the names of
"Old" Erie and "New" Erie.


"Old" Erie - was bounded by State, Eleventh, Peach and Tenth Streets in Erie. The first iron furnace in Erie County was built in 1833 by Hinckley, Jarvis and Company. It was powered by a blind horse walking in a circle, turning a drive wheel. The ore was bog ore from the Laird Farm near the head of the bay. The firm became Lester, Sennett and Chester, and then, through many names and owners, the Germer Stove Company in 1909. Known as the "Old" Furnace after the "New" Furnace was built the old plant was located on State Street between Tenth and Eleventh Streets. It ran along Eleventh Street 3/4 of the way to Peach Street. Nothing remains(s&t).
The old plant was located on State Street between Tenth and Eleventh Streets. It ran along Eleventh Street 3/4 of the way to Peach Street.
Nothing remains.
GPS Coordinates N42 07.451 W80 04.956'(V)(dd-2005)
"New" Erie - In 1840 W. H. Johnson withdrew from the "Old Furnace Company" and joined with William and David Himrod and B. B. Vincent and organizhed what became known as the "New Furnace Company." This concern went across State Street and one block further uptown to the square between Eleventh and Twelfth Streets. The ownership of the company changed many times, and in 1900 it was called the Chicago and Erie Stove Company on the eve of going out of business.Nothing remains(s&t).
The New Erie went across State Street and one block farther uptown, from Old Erie, to the square between Eleventh and Twelfth Streets. Nothing remains.
GPS Coordinates N42 07.436' W80 04.856'(V)(dd-2005)

Erie County Special Sources:
Dan and Chris Dundon (dd) Location and GPS data.
Sharp & Thomas (s&t) Guide to Western Pa. Iron Furnaces, 1966 WPHS


Your source for Western Pennsylvania Iron Furnace Information

Iron Furnace Home Furnace Index Back to Top

Contact us with comments and suggestions e-mail

Web Page Written and Maintained by Richard Parks
Copyright Richard Parks, May 15, 2009